Blogroll

Friday, March 30, 2012

Pan-Seared Strip Steak with Cowboy Steak Sauce and Spicy Potato Wedges

Fridays are usually my busiest day of the week. That's the day I run all my errands. Typically I give myself a pass to not post anything on Friday. But this week I felt in a bit of a panic to get a post up. This afternoon was the official kickoff for Spring Break for my boys and starting tomorrow afternoon my husband will be on vacation for the next week. Yay! This is rare in our house, to all get time off together. So it was a major stock-up day at the grocery store, buying up everything I could to keep my three guys satisfied all week long. It isn't until I need to do one of those shopping trips that I realize how much they eat outside of the house. I must have bought at least twice the amount I usually do in a week.

Anyway I felt like I better post while there was inspiration to because I know next week could get busy. And in the spirit of having all three of my men around me I thought I'd kick-off vacation week with some guy-friendly food.





Pan-Seared Strip Steak with Cowboy Steak Sauce and Spicy Potato Wedges
~serves 4~

Ingredients:
For the Cowboy Steak Sauce:
1/2 c. strong coffee
1/3 c. raisins
2 T. barbecue sauce
2 T. ketchup
3 T. worcestershire sauce
2 T. vinegar
1 T. dijon mustard
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced (2-3 t.)
For the Spicy Potato Wedges:
1 t. smoked paprika
1 t. garlic powder
3/4 t. cumin
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
3/4 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1/4 c. canola oil
2 lb. russet potatoes (3-4 large), each cut into 8 wedges
1. T chopped fresh parley
For the Steak:
4 1/2-inch thick strip steaks 
salt and pepper
2 t. canola oil

Instructions:
1. Make the steak sauce. In a medium bowl, add coffee and raisins. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave until it comes to a boil, 1-3 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes, letting the raisins soften. In a blender combine remaining ingredients for steak sauce and blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for about a week or can be frozen for about a month. Makes about 1 cup.

2. Prepare the potatoes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl combine smoked paprika, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper. Add in canola oil and blend until smooth. Add potatoes and toss until thoroughly combined. Spread in an even layer onto a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake 1 hour, flipping the potatoes halfway through baking time. Sprinkle with chopped parsley to finish.

3.Make the steaks. Pat steaks dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add the steaks and cook without moving about 3 minutes per side or until steaks reach desired doneness. You may need to cook the steaks in 2 batches if your skillet isn't beg enough to fit the steaks without touching each other. Remove steaks to a platter and tent loosely with foil and let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Serve steaks with sauce and potato wedges.


2 comments: