Blogroll

Friday, April 27, 2012

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

This recipe is an oldie. I started making it about 10 years ago when I was a new mom and still kinda a newly-wed. It was fun as a new cook to throw together these kind of simple recipes. I went through a long  phase where I was always on the lookout for a good casserole. Eventually as my cooking skills improved I made recipes like this less and less. Now I rarely make these kind of canned soup concoctions.  And I didn't make this recipe in particular for at least 4 or 5 years. But it's turned out to be a perennial favorite, for my oldest son in particular, who loves it!

Let's face it, this is grub food. It's not fancy, it's not complex (and it didn't photograph very well). But it's a great recipe that can be quickly put together that will fill up the hungry bellies in your family.



Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
~serves 6-8~

Note* This recipe calls for 4 cups of cooked chicken. I usually use 3 large chicken breasts (about 1 3/4 lb.), which I season with salt and pepper and then poach in about 2 cups of water in a large skillet (covered) for about 20 minutes over medium heat, turning once halfway through the cooking (first I bring the water and seasoned chicken to a simmer over medium high heat). You could also use leftover chicken from another recipe or even leftover turkey.

Ingredients: 
10 flour tortillas
4 c. coarsely chopped chicken 
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 (7 oz.) can chopped green chiles
4 oz. softened cream cheese
1/2 c. plus 1 c. sour cream
8 oz. (2 c.) package shredded mexican cheese blend 
Salsa, for serving (optional)

Instructions:
1. Move oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13x9 inch baking dish with cooking spray, set aside.

2. In a large bowl mix together soup, chiles (I don't bother draining the chiles), cream cheese and 1/2 c. sour cream. Mix in the chopped chicken. Using a half cup measure, portion out the filling between the tortillas. Roll up and place seam-side down in the baking dish.

3. In a medium bowl, mix together remaining 1 c. sour cream and the cheese. Evenly spread this over the enchiladas. Bake, uncovered 30-35 minutes, or until bubbly and slightly browned. Sometimes I will put the casserole under the broiler for a couple minutes to brown the top a little more. (Careful if using a pyrex pan under the broiler.)


2 comments:

  1. OH yum. I make these baked chicken taquitas that have a similar filling but I've never thought of turning them into an enchilada! This looks AHHH-mazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few "oldie but goodie" favorites too. This one sounds really tasty. I feel like many comfort foods don't photograph well, but you managed to make it look absolutely delicious!!

    ReplyDelete