Blogroll

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Monte Cristo Sandwiches

When I was a kid there were two breakfast dishes that I almost always ordered whenever I went out to breakfast with my family. And those two dishes were 1. Eggs Benedict and 2. the Monte Cristo sandwich. Now I don't mean to toot my own horn or anything but I think those are pretty adventurous dishes for a child.

Needless to say, my love of food started early.

A Monte Cristo sandwich combines so many yummy flavors. It's a little bit french toast and a little bit grilled cheese and it is great for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Usually, these sammies are either served with maple syrup or strawberry jam. I like to make mine just a little bit more on the savory side by mixing together strawberry jam with a little dijon mustard.



Monte Cristo Sandwiches
~makes 4 sandwiches~

Note*I toasted the bread before I made these sandwiches, in the hopes that it would prevent the bread from becoming soggy when dipped in the egg mixture. Because whole wheat bread is heartier than white bread I found this step unnecessary. If I were using white bread I probably would toast the bread beforehand.
  
Ingredients:
1/2 c. strawberry jam
2 T. dijon mustard
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 T. milk
2 T. flour
salt
8 slices of bread (I used whole wheat here but white is more traditional, see note above)
8 thin deli slices of swiss cheese
4 thin slices of ham
4 thin slices of turkey
2 T. butter
powdered sugar (for serving)

Instructions:
1. For the sauce: Mix together the strawberry jam and dijon mustard in a small bowl and set aside.

2. Place the eggs in a wide, shallow dish. Whisk together the milk and flour, then add to the eggs along with a pinch of salt. Mix together thoroughly.

3. Spread each slice of bread with about a teaspoon of the strawberry-mustard sauce. Divide the cheese and meat evenly between each sandwich beginning and ending with a slice of cheese.

4. Melt 1 T. butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Working with one sandwich at a time, dip both sides in the egg mixture. When the butter is foaming, add the sandwich and immediately dip another sandwich in the egg mixture and place in the pan with the first sandwich. Cook each sandwich until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side.

5. Wipe out the skillet using paper towel. Repeat step 4 with the remaining sandwiches and 1 T. butter.

6. Serve with powdered sugar and remaining sauce.

7 comments:

  1. Your sandwiches look so delicious I am not even joking - my dad loves a good monte cristo and since his childhood has not had one worth his time but I think you make take him back to teen years :D
    Thank yoU!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I wanna munch on those, NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just shared this recipe on my blog - that is how much I want this sandwich right NOW!

    ReplyDelete