Blogroll

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Cuban Panini

Ok so.... I am posting another sandwich. I think ever since it hit me that April is National Grilled Cheese Month I have had hot and cheesy sandwiches on the brain. This time it's a cuban panini. I often say that my panini press is my favorite of all my non-essential cookware. I love how you can cram so much stuff into a roll, grill it in the panini press and it comes out all neat and compact, and the bread is nice and crispy. You can really put almost anything in a panini and it comes out alright. My hubby and I were just discussing what the weirdest thing we ever put in our panini, I think his putting leftover chicken teriyaki (leftover steamed broccoli included) might be the strangest one ever done in our house.

Anyway, I purposely picked up an extra-large roast the other day when I made pork roast so I could make these sandwiches. If you've never had a cuban sandwich before you should really give one a try.



Cuban Panini
~serves 4~

Note* You'll have to forgive me, I forgot to weigh the sliced pork so I could tell you how much you need for this recipe, but if I had to make a guess, I'd probably estimate 1/2 - 3/4 lb. leftover cooked pork should be enough.
Note** If you don't own a panini press, you can get a similar effect by grilling the sandwiches in a skillet with a tiny bit of oil or butter and placing a second skillet or a dutch oven on top of the sandwich to weigh it down as it cooks. 

Ingredients:
1/2 c. mayonnaise
2 T. yellow mustard
4 sub rolls, split in half
3 large pickles sliced, excess moisture blotted away with paper towel
leftover cooked pork, thinly sliced
4 slices of deli ham (I prefer black forest)
6 deli slices of swiss cheese

Instructions:
1. Mix together mayonnaise and mustard in a small bowl, set aside. Preheat your panini grill while assembling the sandwiches.

2. Spread about 1 T. mayo-mustard mixture on each half of the split rolls. Layer the pickles, roasted pork, ham and swiss cheese evenly between each roll. 

3. Grill each panini 5-7 miuntes until hot all the way through. Let sit for 2 or 3 minutes before serving.

7 comments:

  1. Great elements in this sandwich. I do love dill pickles and mustard-pretty essential in my book. However the husband just sticks to mayo. The combo of the sliced pork with the ham must make for a tasty bite as well. This one is a keeper, thanks for sharing! Looks like it is straight from the local deli, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my son called me in Orlando yesterday eating a cuban sammy for the first time he will flip when I send him your site! Nice one perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your panini looks and sounds wonderful and I'm very impressed with your picture - to me, it's very hard to get a appetizing, pretty picture of a panini! You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This panini looks great Crystal. My fiance adores Cuban sandwiches. I think I'll make this for him for lunch and make his day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This look soooo good. I love cuban sandwiches. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, I LOVE cuban sandwiches. But it's been forever since I've had one! Why have I been depriving myself?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea it was grilled cheese month?!?!
    Why didn't anyone tell me...oh well I still have 3 more days to make this.

    ReplyDelete